The more one thinks about the matter the more one finds more questions to ask. Good to see that comments have been posted and appreciate the comments. Interesting to question the validity of assessments - by whose account? Simply answering the 'why' question disregards the fundamental underpinnings of the 'how' question. In my experience of setting assessments I think that I am cognisent of the added value of connecting with students in order to increase their learning about the subject matter, however the constraints that can be imposed can really influence end products. In the minds of some is the fact that marking has to be completed within set time ranges, inevitably meaning that the easier the marking system, the quicker the task will get done. This tho' detracts totally from the effort that the average student invests in the task. As stated by Crossman (2007) the connection with students, between them and the lecturer, is to be valued; students value having opportunities to demonstare their connections with the learning points. They do this by being given the opportunity to express themselves through assessments that are appropriate to the learning need as well as through ongoing dialogue.
An example is, rather than providing a paper of MCQs, which, one might argue, tests recall (ergo rote learning?) why not provide questions that may be answered as the student decides, with the marking criteria being based on the evidence of learning and understanding that is achieved. Having said this, it must be recognised, and accounted for, that students' abilities vary enormously and ultimately would this affect the criteria - to aim for the middle ground?
As stated in one post,(thank you Bill) we, the lecturers are measured by the so called success rate - the final lists of those students who have passed or failed - the future stated in two final words. BUT why should we stay with the status quo? Much of the reading that i have been doing looks at student centred learning, life long learning etc. I am sure that assessments can be developed to meet these needs. Or is that dreaming?
One of the purposes of assessment, and I think a major one, is student achievement (Maclellan, 2004). If this becomes the focus, every student develops in their learning abilities. As I read that last statement I hear the voices and can picture the mayhem - we can't have students developing at their own pace, some will be left behind, some will forge ahead. SO??
Like Marie (thank you for your comments) I also have the opportunity to talk with students, to help them in the direction they need to go, to suggest what they need to learn or write. Is this imposing my views or facilitating their learning.
It appears that I have more questions than answers - onward into the journey of discovery through further reading.
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment