Another really good session about what we are learning about assessment and how it is viewed. I find it really good to have the ongoing dialogue with Sandy, both of us being creatures who love the spoken word, the opportunity to have the conversations. We are learning from one another, taking advantage of each others strengths.
The more the word assessment is examined the wider the debate. I am beginning to focus on the impact that assessment has on student learning - an area that I think could be applied across the continuum of education from ECE to Higher. I wonder what others think? For example, when talking about assessment where is the place of the oral/verbal assessment? Can, should oral assessment replace the written work being required? Within my teaching we do both. In the lecture type situation the written assessment holds sway , in order to meet the academic requirements, however in the practical, where competency needs to be demonstrated, ergo no marks being assigned, the oral assessment, based on evidence provided by the student, takes precedence. In my experience students are not phased at all during the latter assessment (other than perhaps the lecturer doing the assessment when personalities come into play), the assessment becomes a conversation that has to cover certain criteria and the expectations are clear to both parties. The comment in parenthesis gets me thinking on yet another tangent. Oh well more reading :)
Friday, July 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Liz
ReplyDelete"One can teach old dogs new trick" You've yet again proven that to be true, not that you are a dog. An yes I do like to speak, better then write.
Really interested in your thoughts about the written verses verbal/oral assessment. As in my area of education (secondary) I see it time and time again. We have the "sport billies" who excel in the practical but when they must make this with the written components of NCEA Achievements some are disadvantaged. The nature of the assessment states that they must be awarded the lowest criteria met. This is often the case for the boys I teach.
More later when I can think about this. I am known for my spoken words and my slow written processing skill which is why I can connect with my students who are disadvantaged by some of forms of assessment.
SANDY :)
Hi Liz
ReplyDelete"One can teach old dogs new trick" You've yet again proven that to be true, not that you are a dog. An yes I do like to speak, better then write.
Really interested in your thoughts about the written verses verbal/oral assessment. As in my area of education (secondary) I see it time and time again. We have the "sport billies" who excel in the practical but when they must make this with the written components of NCEA Achievements some are disadvantaged. The nature of the assessment states that they must be awarded the lowest criteria met. This is often the case for the boys I teach.
More later when I can think about this. I am known for my spoken words and my slow written processing skill which is why I can connect with my students who are disadvantaged by some of forms of assessment.
SANDY :)
Hi guys
ReplyDeleteJust thought I would stick me nose in :). In my subject - Electronics we are allowed to conference with students at their resit opportunity and often many students are able to clearly explain what they mean but not write it. This I then put down as a conferenced response that I am happy with; award the grade, sign and date their original response. This has been approved by NZQA and been through their moderation process.
Marie :)
Hi Sandy and Liz
ReplyDeleteThe validity of assessments that do not cater to the needs of individuals such as the written for the performance oriented or the performance for the writer will always be an issue. It would be so much more realistic if assessments could cater for both but i guess we are driven - by society or the organisation within which we work - secondary or higherEd. If only we could do other forms of assessment that give truer evidence of learning.