Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I am finding the readings in the forum enlightening and informative, increasing my limited insight into the education sectors pertaining to the youngest members of our society. I really do wonder however about the need to assess, say, a three year old. What is meant by assessment in this context? Does it have a different definition from the one I use in higher education. Perhaps that is the key. Assessment to me has connotations appended - through successful completion the student progresses, through not achieving the student has to repeat an assignment or even a course. Perhaps even leave the programme. There are consequences attached to assessments. I read with interest the comments made about how children are assessed - based on developmental stages? I am unsure. Perhaps someone will enlighten me.

An aspect about learning from assessment that I have is the need to engage the student from the point of entry into the papers I teach in. The assessments, and marking criteria, are clearly defined in the course handbook, and are gone through at the beginning of each semester. A number of assessments within the three years involve peer assessment, an aspect I think that needs initial guidance as to expectations etc. Past experience has shown me that many students either do not want to be critical, or do not know how to be critical, towards their peers. Have been doing quite a bit of reading around this and the more I think about it the more I need to know. If we are preparing students to participate effectively in the 'real' world of being a professional they must be able to self and peer assess. The 'how' question raises its head again. Must do some more thinking.

The position paper is taking shape but I know I am like every student at any level - how will it be perceived by the lecturer? That too ties in with the question that I get asked the most "what do I HAVE to do to achieve"? Does this interpret as the bare minimum or how to excel.
Questions, questions

No comments:

Post a Comment